Seth Godin is an entrepreneur, author and teacher. Through his 20 bestselling books, his well-read blog and entrepreneurial ventures, Seth has motivated and inspired brands to communicate with customers more successfully.
We've all heard of Seth Godin, but if you're not sure who he is and what he does, then you're probably wondering why he's such a big deal.
Seth Godin is an author and marketing strategist—and he's done a lot of things in his life. He's written over 18 books (including Permission Marketing and Purple Cow), helped create the TED conference, and founded Squidoo.com, which was acquired by HubPages in 2011.
He also has a blog called Seth's Blog, where he writes about everything from marketing strategy to human behaviour. His most recent book is The Icarus Deception: How High Will You Fly?
He was born in Quebec City in 1960 and grew up in New Hampshire. He graduated from Tufts University with a degree in political science, then joined the United States Postal Service as a letter carrier, before quitting his job at UPS to become an entrepreneur. Godin launched Yoyodyne, which sold computer-generated ads for radio stations and record labels; he later sold it to CompuServe for $3 million.
In 1999 he founded the online publishing company Squidoo—a website that lets users create their own hubs for sharing content about topics they're interested in—which he sold five years later for $30 million. In 2006 he started a new publishing company called KeppieMedia; two years later he sold it to Thomas Nelson Publishers for an undisclosed amount of money.
In 2016 Godin launched The Marketing Seminar podcast with friends Jon Westenberg and John Ruhlin
Why We Love Him
Seth Godin is an author, entrepreneur, and public speaker. He's written over 18 books and has been a marketing consultant for years. He often takes unconventional stances on marketing trends, like the idea of "permission" marketing—that is, letting your customers know what you're up to before you do it.
Seth's view of marketing is from the point of view of ethics, rather than sales. His books and presentations have the intent to educate, where he utilises his years of expertise to help others see the change they can make.
Most of all, Seth's approach is profound but accessible.
Seth Godin has written 18 books in total, including Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers (1997), Purple Cow: Transform Your Business by Being Remarkable (2003), Linchpin: Are You Indispensable? (2010), and The Icarus Deception: How High Will You Fly? (2014). He also wrote The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and When to Stick) (2007).
Seth Godin currently runs several websites and blogs like SethGodin.com and Squidoo.com. He also hosts a podcast called This Week In Startups on iTunes and Youtube Channel called Startup School which features interviews with entrepreneurs who have successfully started their own businesses.
- Graduated from Tufts University with a Bachelor of Science, Engineering and Philosophy
- MBA in Business Administration from Stanford University
- Founder of Seth Godin's altMBA, a leadership and management workshop
- Founder and former CEO of Squidoo, a content-building website
- Founder and current CEO of Seth Godin's Productions AND Do you Zoom
- Presenter of the Akimbo podcast, which is in the top 1% of most-listened-to podcasts since 2018
The digital swirl is real, it’s disconcerting and it’s loaded with possibility https://t.co/m9YaPFhJXO— Seth Godin (@ThisIsSethsBlog) 17 December 2018
- Seth is one of just three professionals inducted into the Direct Marketing Hall of Fame
- In May 2018, Seth was inducted into the Marketing Hall also- he may just be the only person in both
- He genuinely has an action figure
Where to find out more
- Sethgodin.com: website relating to all things Seth, with links to marketing seminars and various other resources
- Seths.blog: Popular blog written and updated by Seth daily
- Akimbo podcast: Seth's podcast about our culture, and how we can change it
- Don't forget to read Seth's most recent book, This is Marketing: You Can’t Be Seen Until You Learn To See (as well as his other nineteen bestselling books)
Follow Seth Godin