Marketing operations may sound like the name of a secret spy agency, but it's actually the backbone of any successful marketing team.
And just like James Bond, marketing ops professionals need to stay on top of the latest trends and technologies to stay ahead of the competition. That means swapping out laser guns for strategy and grappling hooks for ROI. I promise they're all equally exciting.
A quick definition: marketing operations refer to the planning, execution, and management of marketing campaigns and initiatives to achieve specific business goals.
It involves coordinating various aspects of marketing such as strategy, data management, technology, workflow, and team management to optimise marketing performance and drive revenue growth. The primary objective of marketing operations is to streamline and standardise marketing processes to increase efficiency, productivity, and accountability while improving the overall customer experience.
So grab your (shaken, not stirred) martini and let's look at some stats and trends in the world of marketing operations!
The Top Marketing Ops Stats and Trends in 2023
Digital Marketing ROI and Effectiveness
The Marketing Operations Role in 2023
Want to beat the statistics? Earn your Marketing Operations Essentials certificate with Darrell Alfonso, here!
Lead Generation and Customer Acquisition
- 61% of marketers rank lead generation as their number-one challenge
- 53% of marketers spend at least half of their budget on lead generation
- Less than one-fifth of marketers think outbound practices provide valuable leads
- The US digital lead generation market will reach approximately $3.2billion by 2023
- Lead generation is considered the most challenging task by 61% of marketers.
- 53% of marketers spend approximately 50% of their budget generating leads.
- At most, 18% of marketers consider outbound lead generation suitable for generating quality leads
- 80% of B2B marketers rely on content marketing for lead generation
Personalisation and Customer Experience
- 78.5% of marketers agree that delivering an amazing customer experience is a powerful competitive advantage. This has increased the need for well-managed marketing tech required to crunch data in order to customise and personalise digital experiences, at scale.
- The Temkin Group found that companies that earn $1 billion annually can expect to earn, on average, an additional $700 million within 3 years of investing in customer experience.
- 49% of buyers have made impulse purchases after receiving a more personalised experience.
- Adobe recently found that companies with the strongest omnichannel customer engagement strategies enjoy a 10% Y-O-Y growth, a 10% increase in average order value and a 25% increase in close rates.
Content Marketing and SEO
- 70-80% of people ignore paid search results and only click on organic results.
- 82% of marketers are actively investing in content marketing, 10% report not using content marketing, and 8% are unsure if their company uses content marketing
- 40% of B2B marketers have a documented content marketing strategy, and 64% of the most successful B2B marketers have a documented content marketing strategy
- 69% of marketers actively invest time in SEO
- The top three primary goals of creating content are boosting sales, building relationships with customers, and increasing brand awareness
- 83% of marketers say it’s better to focus on quality rather than quantity of content, even if it means posting less often
- SEO leads hold a 14.6% close rate
- 70% of recipients delete their email instantly if it is not mobile responsive
- Most B2B marketers try to differentiate from the competition by content quality (83%) and covering untapped topics/stories (72%)
- 78% of B2B marketers employ keyword research for SEO while creating content
- 90.63% of pages get no organic search traffic from Google
- 71% of B2B researchers start their research with a generic search instead of branded search
- 52% more traffic is received by B2B blogs on educational content than promotional B2B company blogs
Social Media and Video Marketing
- 81% of marketers found that increased traffic occurred with as little as six hours per week invested in social media marketing.
- 70% of marketers say SEO is more effective than PPC for generating sales.
- Video is the #1 form of media used in content strategy, overtaking blogs and infographics.
- 92% of marketers say that social media is important to their business.
- 72% of consumers who did a local search visited a store within five miles.
- 49% of consumers say they rely on influencer recommendations when making purchase decisions.
- Including a video on a landing page can increase conversion rates by 80%.
- 89% of marketers say email is their primary channel for lead generation.
- 63% of marketers say generating traffic and leads is their top challenge.
- 70% of B2B marketers believe video marketing helps capture and convert leads
Marketing Operations Professionals
- 74% of marketing ops pros say they’re somewhat satisfied or extremely satisfied in their roles
- The most common responsibility in marketing ops roles: researching and recommending marketing technology products (81%).
- 49% of marketers have a marketing operations leader in at least one team
- There has been a 66% growth in the average MOPs team since 2020
- ~996k professionals are working in marketing operations today.
- With many MOPs pros facing burnout, it’s no surprise that nearly ¾ change their job every two years.
Learn More on Marketing Operations With Darrell Alfonso
Elevate, refresh and formalise your marketing operations knowledge and skills to drive your company and career. Join the only global certification programme in marketing operations. The course is packed with everything from marketing ops organisation fit to campaign ops, administration, budgeting and reporting, to tech and project management - and everything